Featured here are articles, essays, stories and poems Mama has written, as well as a few pieces she’s collected from the internet.
Articles & Essays
- Your Vet: The Other Most Important Person in Your Pet’s Life (Courier Publications Your Pet supplement, October 2007)
- Spaying and Neutering: It’s the Healthy Choice (Courier Publications Your Pet supplement, October 2007)
- Pregnant? You Don’t Have to Give Up Your Cat (Courier Publications Your Pet supplement, October 2006)
- Cat 101: The Basics of Living With and Caring For Cats (Courier Publications Your Pet supplement, October 2006)
- Iris: My First Animal Teacher (Animal Wellness magazine, Volume 6, Issue 2)
- Oreo’s Adventure, or How We Came to Be Mama’s Cats (this is a story our kittymama told us as we were nursing, and we told it to Mama)
- The Story of Ugly. This was an anonymous Craigslist post dated 17 April 2005, which I discovered through a cat-oriented LiveJournal community. This is a sweet but sad story, and I feel it’s worth sharing. I tried to find the original author to get permission to post this story here, and could not. If you know (or are) the original writer, please let me know who you are so I can give you credit.
- What Really Happens When You Take Your Dog (or Cat) to the Shelter. This is another Craigslist post, dated July 6, 2006 and found on Best of Craigslist: Sacramento. It was allegedly written by the manager of an animal shelter. This essay is quite graphic and disturbing, but it’s a good wake-up call to people who bring an animal companion into their lives and don’t think about the long-term consequences.